Engineering Manager (Platform Team)
Our new product infrastructure takes the best lessons we've learned scaling realtime applications. Our platform allows us to quickly add new products like Chatkit, Feeds, and TextSync into our portfolio.
We're looking for someone to continue to expand this vision and lead the team at the heart of our new product efforts. We want you to help the core platform meet the strategic goals of both the products it supports and the wider company.
What will you do?
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you’ll be responsible for managing a multi-disciplinary team of engineers who build the platform used by all our new products.
We want you to:
- Grow the Platform Team from eight engineers to around fifteen by the end of 2018.
- Manage the team, coaching them to do the best work of their careers and supporting their personal and professional development.
- Work collaboratively with the the Platform Team and the various product teams to identify the best areas for return on engineering time invested, and ensure the Platform Team delivers reliable software to the teams that need it.
- Manage the sub-teams within the Platform Team. These are currently roughly defined as Platform Services, Platform Experience, and Platform Infrastructure / Site Reliability Engineering. We expect you to define these teams more clearly, establish clear areas of responsibility, and work with the team to establish processes and controls where necessary.
- Flexibly allocate the engineers on the team, embedding them in product teams where it makes sense but also retaining some expertise centrally.
- Represent the platform in strategic technical decisions that affect the whole of Engineering.
- Work with other leaders across the business, ensuring coherence between our different product and platform strands and Pusher’s overall company goals.
- Feed the outcome of all these discussions into hiring decisions for both permanent and contract employees.
Initially we also want you to be the Product Owner for the backlog of technical tasks required on the platform. This may become a separate role as the team grows. You will:
- Groom and prioritise the platform backlog.
- Champion the team’s work internally, making sure people know what the team are doing and how it contributes to the success of the business.
What have you done?
- Been a senior developer or architect.
- Managed a team.
- Hired people.
- Made technical decisions.
What are you like?
- Although you might not be hands-on, you have a deep appreciation for the value of an internal platform to product developers. You enjoy making it easy for other people and other teams to get stuff done.
- You’re opinionated, but you are always willing to challenge and change your opinion when presented with new data or ideas.
- You optimise for learning (a core Pusher value). For this role, this means that new products deployed on the multi-product multi-tenant platform can safely fail fast.
- You’re enthusiastic. You can transmit that enthusiasm to a team whether you’re talking to them, or writing a blog post or email.
- You have a bias to action, and prefer pragmatic real-world solutions over perfection.
- You are happy to share responsibility for a team's work without micromanaging them. You value individual autonomy while still expecting to be accountable for the team's results.
Pusher is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion at our company. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
⚠️⚠️⚠️You may notice that your CV is not the only thing we care about. This is not a glitch or bug. We've asked you some questions also so you can tell us how great you are.⚠️⚠️⚠️
What you get
- Competitive salary
- You choose your kit
- Pension & Health insurance
- Flexible working
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays
- Free breakfast, snacks & drinks
- Monthly lunch
- Regular social events
- Yoga & Massages
- Pusher library