Software Engineering Manager
Our pub-sub API is used by tens of thousands of developers across the world to add realtime features to their web and mobile applications. We send over 300 billion messages a month with category-leading reliability.
We want to double down on this success, so we're building a whole new team around this product. You'll manage this team, taking care of the inevitable team scaling challenges and making sure that we continue to innovate.
What will you do?
Reporting to the VP of Engineering as part of our engineering leadership team, we want you to build a team of engineers who will work on our pub-sub API.
- Grow the team from four engineers at the moment to at least seven by the end of 2018.
- Manage the team, coaching them to do the best work of their careers and supporting their personal and professional development.
- Work collaboratively with the team and the Product Owner to identify the best areas for return on engineering time invested.
- Represent the team in strategic technical decisions that affect the whole of Engineering.
- Work with other leaders across the business, ensuring coherence between our different product and platform strands and Pusher’s overall company goals.
- Feed the outcome of all these discussions into hiring decisions for both permanent and contract employees.
What might you do on a typical day?
- 1:1s with the team, focusing on coaching, solving their problems and helping them progress.
- Working with team inside our development process (standup, iteration planning, estimation, backlog grooming…).
- Listening to the team and implementing process and workflow improvements.
- Refining the commercial and technical roadmaps for the pub-sub product in discussion with the team and Product Owner.
- Representing Engineering in conversations with larger customers.
- Interviewing for new hires into the team.
- Being part of the pub-sub API issue and maintenance triage rota.
What have you done?
- Been a senior developer or architect
- Managed a team
- Hired people
- Made technical decisions
What are you like?
- You love the idea of working with a mission-critical product with millions of end users and zero downtime.
- You’re enthusiastic. You can transmit that enthusiasm to a team whether you’re talking to them or writing a blog post or email.
- You have a bias to action and prefer pragmatic real-world solutions over perfection.
- You are happy to share responsibility for a team's work without micromanaging them. You value individual autonomy while still expecting to be accountable for the team's results.
Pusher is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion at our company. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
⚠️⚠️⚠️You may notice that your CV is not the only part of the application process. We've asked you some questions also so you can tell us how great you are.⚠️⚠️⚠️
What you get
- Competitive salary
- You choose your kit
- Pension & Health insurance
- Flexible working
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays
- Free breakfast, snacks & drinks
- Monthly lunch
- Regular social events
- Yoga & Massages
- Pusher library