Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
Pusher’s realtime APIs power applications around the world across many industries. When you see an in-app chat, a collaborative text editor, or anything else that updates instantly from category-leading brands like Lyft, DoorDash and the New York Times — Pusher is shifting events behind the scenes.
As a Cloud Infrastructure Engineer you will look after the foundation that powers these services. You will maintain and improve the Kubernetes clusters that host them as well as the automation and tooling that provision the cloud infrastructure underneath. The mission is to provide a reliable platform that scales to millions of concurrent connections as well as help product teams to release new software efficiently and safely.
To this end you will both introduce existing tools into the stack as well as help write our own where none exist.
What working as a Cloud Infrastructure Engineer looks like
- The infrastructure team has a lot of autonomy. We trust our teams to make well-informed decisions.
- The platform team supports product teams. We’ve built the platform to improve the product development process.
- We strongly believe in the value of open source and sharing our work so that we can all work on solving the bigger problems instead of constantly re-inventing the wheel.
- We use Terraform and Kubernetes, deploy to AWS and GCP and write our code mostly in Go.
- We are happy to use external services where doing so saves time and increases velocity.
What will you do?
Your responsibilities will include such things as:
- Maintaining and improving the Terraform code that manages our environments
- Research and implement solutions to challenges discovered internally or raised by product teams
- Put security first: Ensure production environments and software deployed to them are secure
- Advise product teams on how to get the most out of the platform and the shared components it provides
- Mentor other engineers and share your knowledge with the team and beyond
What will you learn?
In the fast-moving Kubernetes ecosystem, we are always learning and always adapting to new developments. As part of the team, you will be able to:
- Work on the latest versions of Kubernetes
- Identify, socialise and implement best practices as they emerge
- Help shape the direction of the software we use via code contribution (e.g. to Kubernetes)
- Look after and contribute to our own library of open-source projects
- Learn from other engineers with a variety of backgrounds
- Be part of the team that will discover and implement solutions for the challenges this period of significant growth has in store for us.
What Pusher is like
We are in an extended phase of change and growth: after a period of success as a smaller company, we are learning how to be a successful global company. This process is challenging, rewarding, frustrating, and invigorating, often all at the same time! We are trying to do very big things — at the end of the day, we want to help hundreds of thousands of developers who will impact hundreds of millions of users.
We strongly believe in the importance of diversity and inclusion. For us, diversity means “difference” and inclusion means “making the differences work together” – and the result is a company that strives to practice consistently high levels of belonging. Inclusivity provides a better working environment for all, improves the quality of our services, and positively impacts outcomes. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, orientations, ages, abilities, and perspectives.
We are here to help our customers build delightful applications. By solving significant engineering challenges and packaging them into easy to use APIs, we let developers focus on making their users happy. We believe the growing demand for software will greatly improve developer productivity and, in turn, increase the quality of the apps we all use on a daily basis.
We put emphasis on collaboration between people and teams. Everyone is on the same mission, so sharing work helps us reach our goals faster. We strive for transparency. Keeping everyone well-informed is crucial for building trust, efficiency, and satisfaction at work.
What Pusher provides
- Pension (up to 4% matching)
- Private Healthcare Insurance (including Dental & Optical, after completing Probation)
- A choice of laptop, monitor and peripherals
- Learning allowance
- 25 days annual leave + 3 days between Christmas and New Year when the office is closed
- Free breakfast, fresh fruit, soft drinks, tea, high-quality freshly-ground coffee, and snacks
- Massages and yoga in the office
- Regular office social events