Senior Backend Engineer
Pusher’s realtime APIs power applications around the world across various industries. When you see an in-app chat, a collaborative text editor, or anything else that updates instantly—it could be us shifting events behind the scenes. This role is specifically for the Chatkit team, where we are aspiring to be the industry leader of all chat SaaS by empowering developers to add chat functionality in a fraction of the development time.
As a Chatkit Engineer you will:
- Massively scale up the core of Chatkit services
- Influence a long-term technical roadmap for the product
- Mentor the team to help make Chatkit the industry-leading chat API
What you will be able to learn
Great software engineers never stop learning, so we want to provide you opportunities for improving your knowledge. As a Chatkit Engineer:
- You will get to learn and use leading-edge technologies, like Kubernetes, in high-traffic production environments
- You will have a chance to learn from many experienced engineers with various technical backgrounds
- You will help take Pusher’s flagship new product through a period of significant growth, encountering many engineering challenges along the way
What you will typically do
- You will become the go-to expert for at least one large area of the codebase
- You will need to be able to work comfortably solving ambiguous and complex problems
- You will need to dive into both new and familiar areas of our code to support more inexperienced members of your team, and communicate effectively whether it be pair-programming, in a code review, or in a proposal for a new improvement or service
- You will be a member of the on-call rotation, and be expected to follow through with suggestions for how to prevent future system outages, or implement self-healing systems
- You will determine how to track and implement metrics of quality and drive improvements to our benchmarking process
- You will also be a member of the customer support rotation during normal business hours. The Chatkit team believes in providing the best possible customer experience. In these early stages of the product lifecycle, we get firsthand insight into the challenges, complaints, and excitement of our customers through a customer support rotation
What working in the Chatkit team looks like
- The Chatkit team uses a modern tech stack. Our services are written in Go and deployed on Kubernetes. Pusher uses and supports many other projects from the Cloud Native Computing Foundation.
- The Chatkit team subscribes to the lean methodology. We work in short iterations with as little bureaucracy as possible. We value continuous improvement and expect team members to voice their concerns early and often so that we may address things before they become problems.
- The Chatkit team breaks down silos through collaborating, information sharing, and pairing. We rotate ownership of interesting problems like benchmarking, and encourage pairing on new proposals and SDKs.
What Pusher is like
We strongly believe in the importance of diversity and inclusion. They not only provide a better working environment but also improve the quality of our services. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
We are here to help our customers build delightful applications. By solving significant engineering challenges and packaging them into easy to use APIs, we let developers focus on making their users happy.
We put emphasis on collaboration between people and teams. Everyone is on the same mission, so sharing work helps us reach our goals faster. Throwing problems over the wall and pointing fingers at each other is not our style.
We strive for transparency. Keeping everyone well-informed is crucial for building trust, efficiency and satisfaction at work.
What you get
You choose your kit
Pension & Health insurance
28 days holiday + bank holidays
Free breakfast, snacks & drinks
Regular social events
Yoga & Massages