Android SDK Engineer
Pusher’s realtime APIs power applications around the world. When you see an app sending push notifications, using a chat feature, a collaborative text editor, or anything else that updates instantly, it could be us shifting events behind the scenes.
Great applications require great libraries. Our customers expect world-class SDKs when they develop core features of their apps. We want you to help us build them: Android SDKs that have the best developer experience our customers have ever seen. You’ll be a coder, a bar-raiser and a teacher all in one.
This role is not your average app developer. You’ll have the chance to influence the development of not just one app, but apps built by tens of thousands of developers globally. You’ll be helping us to turn that into hundreds of thousands. And you’ll build your profile amongst the world’s most discerning app developers.
What will you do?
- Contribute to the full feature development lifecycle, from prototype to sunset.
- Identify elements of our Android SDKs that need improvement.
- Propose and implement changes to follow industry-standard best mobile practices.
- Help customers successfully integrate our APIs into their apps.
- Help shape the future technical strategy of the product.
- Mentor more junior members of the team. Share your Android and mobile knowledge around the team, in engineering, and throughout the business.
- Participate in recruitment planning and interviewing.
What will you learn?
Great software engineers never stop learning. We want to provide you with opportunities for improving your knowledge. As an Android SDK Engineer:
- You will solve difficult problems at the scale that Pusher operates at.
- You will learn from experienced engineers with varied technical backgrounds.
- You will help take Pusher’s products through a period of significant growth, encountering many unique engineering challenges along the way
- You will learn how to create awesome developer experiences, through validating your approaches with peers and customers.
We are looking for Android engineers to join two of our product teams that launched into general availability in 2018:
- Chatkit, our chat-as-a-service product. Chatkit allows developers to add chat functionality quickly to their web and native mobile apps.
- Beams, our Push Notifications service. Beams focus on building the world’s best developer experience for sending programmatic push notifications for iOS, Android and MacOS.
You don’t need to decide which team you would like to join immediately, as the role responsibilities and requirements are similar for both teams. We’ll discuss this with you throughout the interview process.
What Pusher is like
We strongly believe in the importance of diversity and inclusion. They not only provide a better working environment but also improve the quality of our services. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
We are here to help our customers build delightful applications. By solving significant engineering challenges and packaging them into easy to use APIs, we help developers focus on making their users happy.
We put emphasis on collaboration between people and teams. Everyone is on the same mission, so sharing work helps us reach our goals faster. Throwing problems over the wall and pointing fingers at each other is not our style.
We strive for transparency. Keeping everyone well-informed is crucial for building trust, efficiency and satisfaction at work.
What have you done?
- You’ve written complex Android applications that have addressed the technical difficulties and quirks of Android.
- You’ve written, maintained, or contributed to quality open-source Android libraries.
- Developed networked mobile SDKs with user experience top-of-mind. Ideally, the SDKs supported a multi-tenant use case.
What are you like?
- You optimize your work for conceptual simplicity over brevity
- You’re highly aware of current Android development practices and the wider mobile development ecosystem.
- You love making other developers’ lives easier, listening to people, and asking questions.
- Competitive salary
- EMI registered share option scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Your choice of laptop, monitor and peripherals: whatever you need to get the job done.
- Pension (up to 3.5% matched)
- Private Healthcare Insurance (including Dental & Optical).
- 28 days holiday
- Free breakfast, fresh fruit, soft drinks, tea, high quality freshly-ground coffee and snacks
- Monthly team lunch
- Massages and yoga
- Regular office social events