Android SDK Engineer
Pusher’s realtime APIs power applications around the world. When you see an app sending push notifications, using a chat feature, a collaborative text editor, or anything else that updates instantly, it could be us shifting events behind the scenes.
Great applications require great libraries. Our customers expect world-class SDKs when they develop core features of their apps. We want you to help us build them: Android SDKs that have the best developer experience our customers have ever seen. You’ll be a coder, a bar-raiser and a teacher all in one.
This role is not your average app developer. You’ll have the chance to influence the development of not just one app, but apps built by tens of thousands of developers globally. You’ll be helping us to turn that into hundreds of thousands. And you’ll build your profile amongst the world’s most discerning app developers.
What will you do?
Chatkit, our chat-as-a-service product, allows developers to add chat functionality quickly to their web and native mobile apps.
- Contribute tothe full Chatkit productlifecycle.As a developer tools company, our SDKs are our user interface, and feature design starts there.
- Work in an agile environment with a cross-functional team ofproduct and distributed systemsengineers.
- Lead the design and architecture of AndroidSDKsthat need improvement.
- Design and implement a clean approach to the SDKfollowingindustry-standard best mobile practicesand collaborating with your Android and web and backend colleagues.
- Design and implement proof-of-concept open source demo applications.
- Design and implementatest-bed for our SDK,supportingcontinuous delivery and giving us afaster feedback cycle.
- Help customers successfully integrateour APIsinto their apps.
- Determine how to track and implement metrics of quality and drive improvements to our release process.
- Mentor, and share your Androidand mobile knowledge around the team, in engineering, and throughout the business.
- Participatein recruitment planning and interviewing.
What will you learn?
Great software engineers never stop learning. We want to provide you opportunities for improving your knowledge.
- You will manage and tame a complex networked service in order to provide a simple, powerful and delightful developer experience.
- You will have a chance to learn from experienced engineers working on scalable distributed systems and SDK development.
- You will help take Pusher’s flagship new product through a period of significant growth, encountering many engineering challenges along the way.
What working in the Chatkit team looks like?
- The Chatkitteam subscribes to the lean methodology. We work in short iterations with as little bureaucracy as possible. We value continuous improvementand expect team members to voice their concerns early and often so that we may address things before they become problems.
- The Chatkit team works collaboratively, and encourages members to take ownership of customer, business and technical problems.
What Pusher is like
We strongly believe in the importance of diversity and inclusion. They not only provide a better working environment but also improve the quality of our services. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
We are here to help our customers build delightful applications. By solving significant engineering challenges and packaging them into easy to use APIs, we help developers focus on making their users happy.
We put emphasis on collaboration between people and teams. Everyone is on the same mission, so sharing work helps us reach our goals faster. Throwing problems over the wall and pointing fingers at each other is not our style.
We strive for transparency. Keeping everyone well-informed is crucial for building trust, efficiency and satisfaction at work.
What have you done?
- You’ve written complex Androidapplicationsthat have addressed the technical difficulties and quirks of Android, Kotlin, and Java.
- You’ve written, maintained, or contributed toqualityopen-source Android or Javalibraries.
- You’ve developed networked mobile SDKs with userexperience top-of-mind. Ideally, the SDKs supported a multi-tenant use case.
What are you like?
- You optimize your work for conceptual simplicity over brevity
- You’re highly aware of current Android development practices and the wider mobile development ecosystem.
- You love making other developers’ lives easier, listening to people, and asking questions.
- Competitive salary
- EMI registered share option scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Your choice of laptop, monitor and peripherals: whatever you need to get the job done.
- Pension (up to 3.5% matched)
- Private Healthcare Insurance (including Dental & Optical).
- 28 days holiday
- Free breakfast, fresh fruit, soft drinks, tea, high quality freshly-ground coffee and snacks
- Monthly team lunch
- Massages and yoga
- Regular office social events